After I wrote my post for Friday –
‘9 First Impressions and 1 Thought’
it dawned on me that everything I’d written could apply to
making good ‘First Impressions’ for that elusive job interview!
Let me remind you…
9 First Impressions for my blog –
or an interview!
- Be a bit different. Let the interviewer see that you’re an interesting person who’ll be an asset to their business.
- Dress to reflect your personality, to stand out from the crowd (but not tooo over the top…)
- Be approachable. Smile and give a firm handshake. Make eye contact, but again, not too over the top…
- Be honest in how you respond to their questions.
- Don’t pretend to be an expert if you’re not. Don’t over state your abilities – it doesn’t work in the long run.
- Show you’re useful and interested in the job and the company/organisation.
- Don’t clutter yourself with jewellery or too much makeup. Wear clothes that show you’re confident but not too confident. (If you’re a man, ditch the cartoon tie and the purple shirt unless you’re after a job in the arts/media/graphics etc).
- Make sure you’re true to yourself and your image.
- Show that you will do your best to meet the needs of your employer.
And 1 Thought…
What advice can you add to this list for an interviewee?