‘What do you say?’ mum used to ask at the end of a birthday party.
‘Thank you for having me!’ I’d chorus, on cue.
It eventually became a habit, as did writing the dreaded ‘Thank you’ letters after Christmas.
The habit has stayed with me and I still write them. I try to send a note to say ‘thank you’ after a meal with friends, and for gifts. It’s how it was back then.
I do it all the time.
Only 2 words but they make a huge difference.
I was thinking about the importance of saying thank you and was suddenly aware of all the people I mustn’t take for granted.
Here are 22 ‘thank yous’ I wish I’d said.
I wish I’d said ‘thank you’ to…
- The men who empty my bin
- My teachers ( except my Maths teacher…don’t ask…)
- The surgeon I never met who operated successfully on my daughter
- My brother for being the man he is
- The pilot who carried me safely home from Florida
- The unseen lab person who carried out my cancer test and it was clear
- The person who invented contact lenses
- The genius who produced this lap top
- The sweet maker who created Maltesers
- Pencil makers
- Hair colour producers
- Paul McCartney for his fab music
- James Taylor for his charismatic performances
- My OH for finding me (OK, I have said it, but I can’t say it enough)
- My father for introducing me to the ethereal sound of cathedral choirs
- My best friend for her ability to lift me up
- My writing tutor for bringing out my creativity
- The guys for tirelessly filling the shelves in Sainsbury’s supermarket
- The craftsman who made my wedding ring
- All the authors of all the books I’ve enjoyed
- Whoever invented blogging
- And last, but absolutely not least, a huge hug and thank you to all you Spinners who read my blog and make my day…
OK, so I cheated! There are far more than 22 people on that list, but never mind.
And one more…
I want to say Thank you to everyone who read my guest post on Jean’s site.
It’s called ’21 Signs That You’re a Blogaholic’ and it’s in her ‘recent posts’ list if you missed it. I was blown away by the response I got and its spurred me on to try for more guest posts.
We need to remember.
Who would be on your list?
Are there people you wish you could thank?
Header image courtesy of abyreed on Flickr.